Sunday, January 18, 2015

Fast Track to Fast Facts


So I'm not really sure how to say this, but my kids love math.  Really.  They love it.

Want to know a secret?  Before Christmas break, they didn't.  I didn't hear one kid talk about how they loved math or how it was fun.  Nope, not even one.

We started this:
h
My kids are super pumped, super motivated, and they're even STUDYING ON THEIR OWN TIME!  Crazy, I know.

Here's how it all works:

1. I printed out all the pieces included and laminated flags, banners, and racecars.  Instead of laminating the track included, my first grade partner and I used construction paper for a bigger track so both classes could fit.

2. I stuck it all up on a wall so it looked like this:

3. I printed off multiple copies of the facts timed tests and organized them as shown:
Copying the tests on colored paper helps me keep them separate...and it looks like a rainbow.

4. Daily, I grab the tests needed for each student.  They all start at Test 1 and when they answer 10 questions correctly in one minute, they move on to the following test.  I use the handy table included in the file to help me remember how many kids need Test 1 and Test 2 and so on.  I give them one minute, and they put their math facts to the test!

5. If students meet their goal, I move them up!  If not, I keep them in the same place and let them know their progress (and how close they were).

It seems simple, but my students have completely turned around.  When their mental math skills increase, their overall math skills increase.  My high kids are obviously loving to be in front, but my low kids are SO happy when they get to move past another flag.  It's awesome to see each kid progressing at their own rate and being proud of themselves.

If you want to try this in your own room, you can get the Addition Facts listed above, or grab the Addition & Subtraction Bundle here for just $1.50 more!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fast-Track-to-Fast-Facts-Addition-Subtraction-Bundle-1588885


No comments:

Post a Comment