Friday, May 29, 2015

Where, oh where is my hair?

Hooray for finally posting something on here!  You know it's summertime when I have time to blog!

So this week I FINALLY got to do something I've been working on for months, but first you have to read my story.

One day, a precious student of mine came in with the most adorable haircut.  She came to the back and handed me a Ziplock bag filled with all the hair she had cut off.  As a teacher, kids bring you all sorts of homemade trinkets and treats as presents, but I have never been given a bag of hair.  I know my facial expression wasn't exactly what she was hoping for, but really - who gives you a bag of hair?!?!  Then she explained to me that her mom wanted me to get a wig made of it for a child who didn't have any hair...and that made a lot more sense.  So I sent it off and got it done!

Right around this time it was about time for my usual haircut and I decided to do what my sweet little girl did.  I grew out my hair for another 2-3 months and finally ended with enough to donate!

Here's what I looked like a few days ago:
I must admit, somedays I got attached to my long hair. I almost chickened out and got a trim instead.  Luckily on the day of my haircut, it was super annoying so AWAY IT WENT!

And this is me, right now writing this blog post.

I LOVE how this little girl in my class inspired me to do something way out of my comfort zone.  Her cute haircut and sweet heart just did me in!  That's one of the best parts of teaching - learning from your students.

FYI: If you're thinking of donating your hair, I'm donating mine to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  My childhood neighbor and second mother was diagnosed with cancer around Thanksgiving last year.  When she started chemo and lost her hair, Pantene gave her a wig for free.  She's an amazing high school English teacher who kept teaching through her treatment, and I was so impressed with a company that would provide her with a wig free of charge!


No comments:

Post a Comment